Before I became a savings superstar, I would just spend money on anything I needed, no matter the price. Then I had my second, third and fourth child. Things started to get expensive and I had to find ways to cut back. Children's Orchard was my first stop. With great prices on many brand name products and a trade in program! Did you know that parents spend an average of $428 on back to school! That's crazy!! Especially with the holidays right around the corner. This is really an increasingly popular way to save on back to school among parents is shopping resale. With school just around the corner, I wanted to share a few tips from Children's Orchard on the dos and don'ts of resale shopping for your children's back to school wardrobe.
- DO Inspect: When shopping at thrift or consignment stores, make sure you inspect clothing for holes and stains. Upscale resale stores are very selective about the products they take in and will typically use a special light to check clothing for imperfections.
- DON’T Overlook Deals: Despite already deeply discounted prices, resale and consignment stores often hold generous promotions during the summer season. For example, Children’s Orchard locations will host a Dress For Less back to school sale on August 16 – August 18, 2013, where shoppers can get name brands for less! These will include Gap jeans for $6.99, Ralph Lauren polo shirts for $4.99, Baby Lulu dresses for $7.99 and many more.
- DO Check for Recalled Items: Talk to the seller about how they stay up-to-date on recalls. You can also look up recalled items on the Consumer Product and Safety Commission (CPSC) website: www.cspsc.gov/en/Recalls.
- DON’T Forget about Selling! Some stores will actually give you cash for your kids’ gently-used clothing, toys, furniture, and accessories. Call ahead for information on what your local resale store is buying.
- DO Consider Current Styles: Bring a recent department store catalog with you as you shop to compare items to the latest fashions.
- Boutique Brands - IKKS, Heart Strings, Luck Brank - for 40-80% less than retail stores.
- GapKids, Abercrombie, Tommy Hilfiger Kids separates that cost upward of $70 at most stores cost closer to $12-$15 at Children's Orchard.
Source: Children's Orchard