With gas prices at the highest average ever for this time of year and airlines enacting new booking and travel fees, getting away from home and taking an affordable family vacation seems difficult, if not impossible. With some planning and researching you can prepare to save some money while traveling on a budget so that you don’t have to forgo your vacation. So go ahead, arm yourself with these tips and get ready to don those Mickey Mouse ears!
- Use apps to your advantage: There are many apps that can save you money. Whether it be GasBuddy to help you find the cheapest gas near you or ATMHunter which allows you to avoid fees when withdrawing money.
- Brown bag it: Make an effort to make your own lunches or breakfasts when traveling. It’s cheaper to stock up on fruit, snacks and cold cuts than eating every meal at a restaurant.
- Dine out wisely: Many restaurants offer “kids eat free” deals on certain nights, find locations near you on KidsMealDeals or use their free app.
- Take advantage of deals: If you’re a member of organizations that offer discounts, look into where you could be saving money. AAA offers its members a variety of savings which range from discounts to attractions to local restaurants.
- Take advantage of cheap vacation packages: LuckyChic is a luxury bidding site which also features vacation packages which include hotel, airfare, and access to exclusive events. Just recently an LA Fashion Week package sold for $35.70.
- Shop around: Take your time when buying souvenirs. Shopping around will allow you to find the most reasonably priced souvenirs. Remember, seashells found on the beach make sweet mementos and may be more heartfelt than buying a keychain.
- Explore public transit options: Do some research about public transportation where you’re going. Taking the subway or a bus instead of renting a car or hailing a taxi will save you a lot of money.
- Happy hour keeps your wallet happy: Drinking can often be very expensive and the drinks can quickly break your budget. Research happy hours or local deals using Yelp.
- Keep safety in mind: Make sure you save money reasonably; it’s not worth trying to risk you or your family’s safety to save money.
Thanks to Joel Fan, President and Founder of LuckyChic.com, the premier online site where you can bid on luxury experiences for these valuable ways to travel on a budget!!!