Now that it’s almost halfway through the first month of 2011, it’s a good time to check in on the progress of your weight loss resolution. If the pounds are not dropping quite as quickly as you’d like, don’t worry, just implement some simple solutions that can help you stick to your resolution. Erin Jacques, national director and trainer for the New York-based Exhale Enterprises, Inc. offers dieters the following uncomplicated fit tips:
- Easy transportation and take the longer route – park your car in the last spot furthest away from the store, building, or destination and just walk! If taking public transportation, get off a stop or two early and make the decision to walk the rest of the way
- When in doubt always opt to take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take either 5 minutes in the morning or evening just for yourself to sit in a comfortable, quiet spot, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Embracing stillness and clearing the mind helps to prepare the body for sleep or the beginning of the day.
- On your lunch break or any time during the midday, get up from being inside and step out for a 5 to 10 minute walk just to breathe fresh chilly air and perhaps feel the sun. This simple act will awaken the senses, stretch the body and stimulate energy
- During lunch, dinner or happy hour – skip the sugary juices, sodas and mixers and instead opt for water. Beverages like HINT Water also offer a hint of flavor without the calories, sugars and artificial flavors.
- When watching T.V. during the commercial breaks get up, stretch and move the body! Take it a step further and do exercises for the duration of a commercial. Switch it up with planks, push ups, triceps dips, squats and lunges.
- Before bed or any time in the day, prop your legs up the wall, close your eyes and actively rest. This will re-circulate the blood in the legs, help to balance the energy and calm the mind.