First up is the Brake Override System - Toyota, who is the parent company of Lexus will be adding a brake override system to all its new cars by the end of the year. Brake override automatically reduces engine power when the brake pedal and accelerator pedal are applied simultaneously. This happens under certain driving conditions:
- The throttle opening is greater than 1/3
- Vehicle speed is above 5 mph
- Brakes are applied firmly
- If you find yourself in a situation to where the vehicle will not brake and come to a slow down - you can gently put the car in neutral which will not cut power leaving you the ability to steer and brake. My husband does this sometimes while we're stopped at a red light and sometime he does not wait until we come to a complete stop and I had always just "assumed" this was not good for the car - my husband was happy this was a lesson I had come away with! This will not damage your car
- And get this - you can also shut off the engine while the car is in motion! I really would have let me husband have it if he had done this before camp!! This does not hurt the car - but enables you to safely bring it to a stop. You will lose power turning off the engine so it may be hard to steer and brake - but in an emergency I think all of our super hero powers emerge, especially in us Moms!!
So I hoped this has helped you and now if you are ever in a situation where the accelerator is stuck. We are going to be bringing you more safety features all week long as we feature "Lesson's learned from Lexus Family Safety Camp"!